Friday 31 August 2007

My last days with NRW.BANK

What a strange moment: Leaving the place where you have worked for the last three years...

It’s been five months now since I formally quit my job as an Investment Manager with NRW.BANK’s participations department. A long time to prepare the leave one might think but in the end it all went quite fast... Up to the last afternoon I haven’t had the feeling of really leaving the company and my colleagues. Don’t know where that came from...

A possible explanation might be that I spent the last two days of my NRW.BANK time on a strategy meeting with the whole team on Schloss Krickenbeck an old water castle owned by WestLB and set up as a high standard Seminar hotel.

These strategy meetings are held by the participations department once a year and I was very happy being invited to this year’s event. As usual the two days weren’t too serious but well balanced between discussing new market opportunities or improvements in existing products and on the other hand team building and heavy socializing.

In the afternoon of our first day we had a painting class in which we designed collages of the letters forming our company’s name NRW.BANK. We did this in groups of three formed by coincidence by picking notes and had a really good time with great results.

The evenings at Krickenbeck are traditionally spent in the bar "Tenne" and are vital part of the socializing side of such events. We had a very funny evening with good talks and a very nice speak of my boss saying that I did a good job during my time with the bank and that I will be welcomed warmly when I will come back. In addition to the plane shaped kite with flight vouchers I got during the breakfast I arranged as a farewell meal some days ago, I got a little book with pictures and nice words and wishes from my colleagues now. This is a really nice thing to remind me of the last three years and the nice persons I have been working with. Thank you very much for it!

Another tradition linked to the bar is turning to Ramazotti at a certain moment during the evening and finally ending up drinking Bessen Genever. The evenings usually finish with bamby eyes bagging for a last and final round of drinks and staff only reacting to this reluctantly.

In the morning after too many drinks having a swim in the hotel's pool is always a great idea and good basis for the rest of the strategy meeting. I did so with my very close work mates Mirja and Marko taking the opportunity to wrap up things and to discuss the last evening.

The two days ended with a warm farewell from my colleagues and me heading to airport Weeze catching the plane to visit Klaudia in Marlborough.

No comments: